Beating the Post Travel Blues

Beating the Post Travel Blues

Travel provides us with the highest of natural highs – the sights, the experiences, the new people you meet, the new food you try, the fact that drinking beers and cocktails long in to the early hours of the morning is the norm rather than the exception – and so when it comes to the end of it all we can be met with the lowest of crashing lows.

Unless you’re in a position to be location independent and constantly on the go – a lifestyle most of us can only aspire to but one which, I am reliably informed, is not all carefree glamour and hedonistic fun – all of us have our travel experiences come to an end and reality bring us back down to earth with a bump.

So what to do about it? Well, you can wallow and bemoan the fact you’re not able to do the thing you love most again for a while. Or you can try some of these…

Appreciate Home Comforts

The obvious one. Because whilst you invariably lament all of those great travel experiences when you’re back home, you most probably catch yourself missing the uniquely lumpy mattress of your own bed, or the café just down the road that does your cappuccino just the way you like it, or the fortnightly poker nights with the guys from work. We all have regular things in our lives that make us inwardly smile, and it’s time to appreciate those again after having had some time away from them.

Appreciate Home as a Destination

Wherever you live in the world, I can guarantee you that there are people elsewhere in the world who have it on their bucket list. So don’t take it for granted! In fact, one of life’s travel-related pleasures can be to show a fascinated visitor around your home town, or place you live. I live in London and can easily take the fact I do for granted; seeing the wide-eyed look of wonder on a first time visitor’s face teaches me to try not to.

Plan that next trip!

You know how Christmas is as much about the build up as the day itself? I’m not saying that travel is comparable to Christmas or any other major religious holiday or festival, but it’s true that anticipating your travels can make you happy too.. There’s no one way to go about planning a trip – some folks plan everything to the nth degree, others are content to wing it – but just by reading up on a destination, even if you make provisional itineraries only to abandon them later, can also give you that warm, excited, Christmas Day build up feeling.

The more you read…

“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” Roald Dahl, Matilda

Reading books, my friends, can make you think and feel in a way that no other form of art can. The private discourse between author and reader has the power to create near transcendental experiences in the reader’s mind. In the sense of travel, it can fire your imagination about places around the world; this is true of both fiction and, oh yes, travel writing. Reading is also a great boost to one’s empathy, which rather neatly brings me on to…

Liberation from the Tyranny of the Self

There’s no getting around the fact that travel is often an inherently selfish activity and, like it or not, left to our own devices we are essentially left with our own thoughts. All. The. Time. That’s why reading, with its clever trick of pulling you out of your own headspace, is one way to spend time with thoughts other than your own. You can be as selfish as you like with what you get up to at home of course, but it’s not healthy and is probably the root cause of the post travel blues in the first place. Instead, actively seek out your friends and find out what they’ve been up to (rather than you talk at them about your wonderful travels the whole time). Perhaps consider doing some voluntary work to also gain an insight in to the experiences of others, and put yours in perspective. It will help you realise that…

There’s More to life than Travel

Travel is undoubtedly my favourite thing. I make sacrifices and plan a lot of my life around it. But that doesn’t mean it takes over my every waking moment. To have any one particular thing take over your whole life borders on obsession and is not healthy. So whether it’s flying a kite, collecting coins, learning to snowboard, playing the piano or any other number of things you can do that you enjoy, immersing yourself in other interests is a sure fire way to get over those post-travel blues.

How do you deal with the post travel blues?

• Amanda Keeley-Thurman

April 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm Reply

I hate the post trip blues. I find planning for the next trip always helps and yes, reading too. I try to watch a lot of travel shows as well.

April 17, 2017 at 7:18 pm Reply

Yes! Travel shows are a surefire way to satisfy those wanderlust cravings 🙂

• Bistra Yakimova

April 17, 2017 at 8:44 pm Reply

I deal with post travel blues all the time. The more I consider everything I do traveling, the better I feel. We’re always on a journey even if we stay at home. Once I realized that, it is so much better now 🙂

April 17, 2017 at 9:40 pm Reply

Well that’s certainly one way to deal with it 🙂

• Siddhartha Joshi

April 18, 2017 at 10:32 am Reply

Good one! I think that the tip ‘Appreciate Home as a Destination’ is the best one – I try and do it all the time 🙂
    Siddhartha Joshi recently posted…Falling in love with the streets of Bikaner…My Profile

April 18, 2017 at 12:14 pm Reply

Same here – the world is a beautiful place, and that can include our own backyard 🙂

• Brian

April 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm Reply

There is more to life than travel but not a lot more, lol. The most difficult thing for me is being around people that just don’t understand why travel is exciting. Living somewhat close to NYC, Philadelphia, DC & Baltimore means that I can “travel” at least once per month.

April 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm Reply

Yeah, know what you mean – it can be difficult to enthuse about travelling when the other person just isn’t that interested. Good point about being in a position where you can travel to a nearby destination! 🙂

• Matt Hulland

April 19, 2017 at 9:18 am Reply

Love this post and you’re right about the blues. Interestingly, I have found that because of travel I now do all these. Whereas before I’d happily spend a whole day in front of the Xbox or TV, now I can’t I see my home as a destination, go for day trips 20 minutes or 4 hours down the roads, bug my friends by always wanting to meet them and read a hell of a lot more. So while this post is how to recover from post travel blues, it could also be how travelling will change you! Great stuff as always.

April 19, 2017 at 3:53 pm Reply

Thanks Matt 🙂 Travel does undoubtedly change us as people, and I know exactly what you mean – it gets you to look up and at around the world around you a bit more. Thanks for stopping by!

• Rhiannon

April 20, 2017 at 2:37 pm Reply

Travel blues are the worst! ‘m trying so hard to appreciate my home country as a destination since returning from 9 months of travelling! It’s hard though — Wales is absolutely gorgeous, and has some breath-taking spots, but to me it’s just home. It’s what I see every day, and it’s really difficult to see it through different eyes!

April 20, 2017 at 5:59 pm Reply

Well, I’m from Wales too 🙂 I always find it beautiful every time I go back there, which is probably a benefit of living away from it. I know it’s hard, but I actually find I appreciate the attractions of the UK all the more when I come back from a lengthy stint overseas.

• Halef - the Round The World Guys

April 22, 2017 at 2:08 am Reply

As an avid traveler, I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of your points here. I hope that your post will convince a lot of potential wonders who are still in their shells. Thank you for sharing, and keep up the good work.
    Halef – the Round The World Guys

April 22, 2017 at 12:59 pm Reply

Thanks Halef! 🙂

• oursweetadventures

April 22, 2017 at 5:43 pm Reply

just came off a trip and have the blues haha. I find the first day is the hardest and if I can get through it I’ll be good. I inevitably look for a vacation somewhere else or recount the previous trip by looking at photos.