The Guinness Storehouse, Dublin – A beer lover’s paradise!

The Guinness Storehouse, Dublin – A beer lover’s paradise!

Dublin’s most famous stout is more or less synonymous with both the Irish capital and the country as a whole, so it’s little wonder that this is the most-visited attraction in the city. It was undoubtedly the single thing I was looking forward to the most, and I’d deliberately kept it for the latter half of my trip to Ireland, anticipating it being the highlight. I was not disappointed.

Situated adjacent to the Guinness Brewery in the Kilmainham area of the city, this interactive, multimedia experience is a grand and glitzy love letter to everyone’s favourite stout. And why not? Dublin is justly proud of Arthur Guinness, its favourite son and founder of the world-famous black drink way back in 1795.

Once you ascend to the first floor of a waiting MC-type who will regale you with the backstory of the founding of the brewery, dropping such titbits as there being a 9000-year lease on the place (!) and the fact that the centrepiece glass atrium is the world’s single largest pint glass. And then you’re off, let loose to explore all six floors of this beer-lovers’ paradise.

20161026_130152It is the hardcore beer nuts who will enjoy the opening exhibit the most, detailing as it does the ingredients (barley, hops, yeast, with examples of each on show) and process of brewing Guinness. It even takes the time to remind us that water, fresh from nearby mountains – and not the River Liffey – is a key ingredient too. It’s all completed with information on how Guinness has travelled the world to be sold in various guises.

20161026_123718The taste test comes next, which leads in to arguably the least-expected highlight: a section on Guinness’ legendary advertising campaigns through the years. Trust me, it’s more fun than it sounds: Guinness has justly earned a reputation for its pioneering adverts, with the one featuring Polynesian surfers (“tick follow tock follow tick”) voted the advert of the century/millennium, and origin of the slogan “good things come to those who wait”.

You can watch this and other famous ads from Guinness’ illustrious history at a faux bar; before this you get to see a fairground-esque cast of iconic Guinness characters, ranging from a laughing oyster to the fish on the bicycle…!

20161026_135219All this is but a buildup to the twin highlights at the end – pouring your own pint (who’d have thought there were six stages to this?) and then ascending to the panoramic ‘sky bar’, where you cash in your voucher for your complimentary pint of Guinness and take in 360-degree views of Dublin. Unfortunately, a dearth of seating and the sheer crowds do compromise on those views somewhat…but that’s small beer (pun intended) when you taste the Guinness they serve here which is, of course, as good as it gets!

20161026_143642

20161026_143051

• Raksha

December 5, 2016 at 7:42 pm Reply

I have been to this place and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing this.

December 5, 2016 at 8:03 pm Reply

You’re welcome, and glad to hear you enjoyed it too 🙂

• Stephanie K

December 5, 2016 at 7:51 pm Reply

This is a must stop for any beer lover. I think it is true the Guinness in Dublin tastes better because of the water! And having a pint on the rooftop bar is fabulous. I learned so much on my tour.

December 5, 2016 at 8:04 pm Reply

It was undeniably the best pint of Guinness I have ever tasted 🙂 And yes, it is a very informative tour, with views that can’t be beat from the Skybar at the end.

• Naomi

December 5, 2016 at 8:50 pm Reply

Ahhh! This brings back such great memories! I loved our visit there and I had loads of fun pouring my own pint of Guinness

December 5, 2016 at 9:38 pm Reply

Yes! Pouring your own Guinness is undeniably so much fun 🙂

• Amanda

December 5, 2016 at 9:58 pm Reply

Hey, when I get to Ireland I am heading striaght for the Guinness Storehouse. Looks fun and I love a good pint.

December 6, 2016 at 7:12 am Reply

In which case it is just the place for you 🙂

• Ali May

December 6, 2016 at 10:08 am Reply

Yes, this is a fantastic experience. I loved it too! That view and the tasting is extra special at the source.

December 6, 2016 at 12:31 pm Reply

Indeed, it is no ordinary Guinness-related experience 😉

• Christine

December 6, 2016 at 5:05 pm Reply

I never went to Ireland. I wish I can go someday.

December 6, 2016 at 7:20 pm Reply

Definitely do recommend it – hope you do get to go someday 🙂

• Lynne Sarao

December 7, 2016 at 3:22 am Reply

Ahhh I’m so jealous! This is something I definitely want to do. I need to make it to Dublin first though! I hear the views of the city from the top of the bar are worth the price of admission alone. Is it true? Was the beer better in Dublin?

December 7, 2016 at 7:24 am Reply

Not all beer, but the Guinness most certainly was, and was best of all in the Storehouse 🙂 The views are indeed spectacular, but for me not the absolute highlight – there could well be other places you can get equally good views of the city for free!

• Derek Cullen

December 7, 2016 at 6:07 am Reply

Joe, you’ve finally done it, you’ve found real Guinness that tastes the way it is supposed to taste! haha Really glad to see you go here Joe. I worked in Temple bar for a couple of years and loved taking a day tour to the Guinness Storehouse whenever anyone was visiting from abroad. Glad you seemed to enjoy it Joe 😉

December 7, 2016 at 7:26 am Reply

Yep, I enjoyed it definitely…wish I stayed longer and had a couple more Guinnesses actually 😉 Temple Bar is a cool district as well; hopefully it was a fun experience working there for you!

• Michelle d

December 7, 2016 at 11:08 pm Reply

I did the storehouse myself and while I am not a beer drinker I still always recommend it! It was so fascinating learning about the history of the drink. Seems like you had a lovely time.

December 8, 2016 at 6:18 am Reply

I did, and it’s great to hear that you enjoyed it as well despite not being a beer drinker. Proof of this place’s wide-ranging appeal! 🙂

• Sudipto

December 10, 2016 at 5:23 pm Reply

Guinness is my all time favorite and alcohol based tourism is a truly upcoming thing. What are the charges here? Do you find any food here??

December 10, 2016 at 5:40 pm Reply

It’s not cheap…but it’s definitely worth it. You do get two pints of Guinness in the admission price, if you pour one yourself that is! There is food available in a couple of cafes too 🙂

• Nisha Jha

December 11, 2016 at 2:18 pm Reply

When I go to Ireland I will head to Guinness Storehouse also. Surely it’s a fun place. These days alcohol based tourism is on the rise.

December 11, 2016 at 6:51 pm Reply

Yes, it seems like the world is growing increasingly fond of a little bit of booze now and again 😉

• Ashley Renne

December 13, 2016 at 11:04 am Reply

Seeing Guinness’ legendary advertising campaigns would actually be a highlight for me. I’d love to watch those at the storehouse. I may not be the biggest beer fan, but I like it just enough to be able to appreciate something like this.
    Ashley Renne recently posted…Best Private Villa I’ve Ever Experienced in BaliMy Profile

• Ami

December 14, 2016 at 11:40 am Reply

Seems like a lovely tour that ends with a treat 🙂 Not a big beer fan, but just to check out Guiness, I am game.! Nice pics.
    Ami recently posted…A Guide to best places to pick Hotels in GoaMy Profile